Asphalt paved driveways are very popular and are the most cost effective choice, over other paving options. Still, hiring the right contractor can sometimes be difficult. With a job well done though, the work should last about 30 years!
What is Asphalt Paving Exactly?
Asphalt paving, also known as Hot Mix Asphalt paving, consists of an aggregate of stone and sand, mixed with liquid asphalt cement. The aggregate is mixed and heated, before being mixed with liquid asphalt.
Perks of an asphalt paved drieway
- Unlike concrete, asphalt paved driveways are strong and flexible.
- Ideal for colder temperature zones where constant freezing/thawing occur
Hiring the Asphalt Paving Contractor
- Receive 3-4 quotes to get the best comparison of workmanship and price. Talk it over with friends and family, and do lots of research to find the businesses in your area.
- Have a drawing of your home and the desired driveway footprint available to the contractor in order to receive the best costs.
- Make sure your contractor is bonded and insured, to protect you from liability and their sub-par performance.
- It is important to walk the site with the contractor to go over any questions and concerns from both parties, before the work is started.
- Discuss proper slopes and drainage with the contractor, or you may end up with a pool of water at the end of your driveway.
What Does An Asphalt Paving Job Consist Of?
A normal asphalt paving job consists of the application of two layers of hot mix asphalt over the sub-base layer. For heavier vehicles, a paving contractor may suggest a full-depth asphalt application .
What Else Might the Contractor Have to Do?
- Raise any municipal pipes to the finished height of the driveway
- Remove and Reinstall a gate to the new finished driveway
With this information you are on your way to hiring the very best asphalt paving contractor, to create your new and improved driveway!